Saturday 12 April 2014

London is not love, it is just CONVENIENT

Can't believe it has been a good 8 months since I last wrote anything on this space. The last post was me vainly displaying my A2 results lol. To be fair, I am pretty sure I have no audience so that is okay for now :)

So, what has happened in my life since then?
Well, I have moved to London and been living here for 7 months now, reading Medicine at Barts and The London on a scholarship. I also just turned 21 less than a month ago so that was exciting-issssssh but not really. I feel my age now, and I am VERY vocal about it, to the point where my a lot of friends here in London are sick and tired of hearing me rant all the time! Sorry guys. I know there's no point complaining about the inevitable.

Reading medicine has been a dream of mine since 15, and as I am stalking through all my past posts from 2009 (I have no life really, even in London), I feel like a small part of that whiny, bitchy girl has grown up quite well. I am blown away by the opportunity God has given me to be able to experience the joy of studying overseas, and all that without burdening my parents financially.

I have a love-hate relationship with my university.

I love how it is located in London. Unfortunately, Whitechapel is not a very posh area so that kind of was a turn-off for me. I must be the most naive girl in the world but I sincerely thought that all of London would be like South Kensington, posh and beautiful, idyllic and scenic, and all the adjectives describing a high-class area you can think of.

I love how friendly the student atmosphere here at Barts is compared to other unis (*coughs* Kings *coughs*). I hate the PBL-centric course though. Too much independent learning (this point is moot considering I knew this before I applied lol).

It has been quite the culture shock living here though. Prices are outrageous, especially the rent. I am paying around RM3500 for my room right now. Thank God for government allowances or I would be homeless. Secondly, I have never been surrounded by so many articulate, confident and lively people in my life. Must be the Western culture influence. I do not fit in here at all. I am too self-degrading, too boring and too not Western (if that even makes sense).


And with that, I end this post (Procrastinating by reading other blogs right now)

1 comment:

Nerd.♥ said...

I'm still reading your blog don't worry Mir hahaha because I've started writing too few days ago HAHA