Sunday 19 July 2009

Public Speaking (Da real 1)

So, on the 17th of July, the real public speaking competition finally happened. I woke up at 3 in the morning hoping to know my speech inside out. To tell you the truth, even though I had like a week more to practice, i didn't spend ANY time at all on it because i focused all my energy on the freaking hard test (which i will blog about later). I have never failed in any subjects and I don't intend to start now, thank you very much.

Back to the main thing. So, I didn't hafal my whole script because my mum told me that it is a public speaking competition and not a public hafaling the script that you have competition. I honestly just wanted to get the whole thing over and done with and i did not expect anything out of it but to gain some experience and also make new friends (which i did). So I went to school and ask teacher Rosmah to tocang lekat my haircuz if i do kan, gelembung-gelembung that. After that, i went and see teacher aini because she was the one who is suppose to take me to the competition but apparently, Pn. Pang wanted her to stay for some blood donation drive at our school. I really felt like anak terpinggir because no one wants to send me until the awesome teacher Siska agreed to accompany me.

During the part where we have to draw our number, this guy, Adam from Sanzac strike up a conversation with mua. So we had fun talking and one of those stuff was about how we don't want to be the 1st or the last to present our speech. Our wish came true bacause Adam was the 5th to present and i was the 8th (nice number!).

I know what people say about how you should psyche yourself up before a competition but honestly the only thing i did was talk, talk and talk, up till it was my turn to speak. In my opinion, i did pretty well during my prepared speech but honestly, i have to say Sean from La Salle did it the best. He even did some locking thingy during his speech because it was about the hip hop culture.

Then the dreaded moment arrive. The impromptu speech. Wanna know how did i prepare ?
If it was (insert topic), i would say:
  • H1N1

H1N1 is swine flu. Repeat after me, SWINEEEEEEEEEEEE......

  • 1Malaysia

In my opinion, the 1Malaysia slogan is only a political gimmick by our Most Horrible, I mean Honourable Prime Minister, Dato Seri' Najib something........ I doubt he even knows the specific definition for that particular slogan of his.

And i think i stop preparing after that..... Sad, kan ?

When I was in the quarantine room (haha, swine flu comes to mind) for the impromptu speech, I got the shock of my life when i found out the topic would be WHAT IS SAFE SEX?

I know, it was the longest four minutes ever to write a three minute speech (yes, that is the format for the impromptu speech). When the time ended, I only got the definition ready. It was the most ackward speech ever, explaining what safe sex is exactly. Most of the guys went high I guess cuz they're definitions are like rated 18 and above....

Anyways, at the end of the competition, I was quite confident on nabbing at least a place because i know my impromptu speech was done quite nicely. But having said that, I never expected to win ! Me, the one who didn't even have enough time to prepare for everything, only a few people know how i was suffering deep down inside but i believe God saw my hard work and he rewarded me accordingly :) Let's not forget the other awesome winners which is...

1st runner up : Sean (La Salle)

2nd runner up : Kieran (Maktab Sabah)

You guys are awesome and honestly i had one of the best competitions in my life. We broke the unwritten rule where we are somehow suppose to wish others to fail. Instead, we had a lot of fun talkin to one another and it will be an experience i will treasure, trust me.

The trophy is so big but i am setting my sights to win the state level competition in Lahad Datu (i'll blog about it later...). Don't worry teachers, i might not be your 1st or 2nd choice to join this competition but i promise that i will do my best for God, myself and the school. I can't guarantee anything else, but hopefully it will be enough.

p/s : the competition will be on the 21st and 22nd of July... Wish me Luck

xoxo

Mirable'

No comments: